Thursday, May 22, 2008

Be still

Guest author, Ruth writes:
Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."
This is of my favorite Bible verses, with its call to focus on the simple, the essential, and the eternal.
It also speaks to me on a personal level, because all of my spiritual growth has happened when I either forced myself to be still or was reduced to stillness by the overwhelming and compelling force of external circumstances that were outside my control.
I think it’s this way for most of us.
The command in the verse to "be still" comes from the Hebrew verb rapha which means "to be weak, to let go, to release". It could be better translated in the context of the verse as "allow yourselves to let go". In Hebrew grammar, the emphasis in commands such as "Be still!" is on the second imperative, which means that we are doing something in order for something else to happen as a result. In other words, we let go in order to know that God is in control. When we are truly quiet and truly honest, we realize who we really are – weak, feeble, and ineffectual, especially on a cosmic scale – we can let go of our desire to control every outcome and entrust the care of the world to God.
Inside each of us is a still, calm voice that is eternal. It can only be heard in stillness, and it says "I love you. I am always here."
That would be God, talking to you.
Thank you Ruth
Peace,

Julia

No comments: